[Fedora-packaging] perl module MODULE_COMPAT

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Apr 5 14:59:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 23:51 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:

> I recall Chip mentioning ABI broke sometime after 5.8.0.  Maybe I'm wrong...

No, you're right, I forgot.  man perl582delta or
http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perl582delta.pod#Incompatible_Changes

FWIW, I don't remember running into this myself nor seeing any related
bug reports.  The changelog of the perl package does not contain hints
of special patches having been applied in the shipped 5.8.1 series
packages that would fix the incompatibility.

So, 5.8.1 would be a candidate for removal from the compat list, and
@INC and friends.  All perl-* packages in Rawhide have been built with
5.8.3 or later, and IIRC no perl-* packages have been removed from FC
since FC1 (5.8.1) so the removal wouldn't seem to need any actions
there.  It would affect 3rd party packages and locally installed modules
done with 5.8.1 but still in use with current FC4 perl.  But that is
probably close to an empty set today.

Also, the perl-5.8.0's shipped in RHL9 and RHEL3 have quite a few
patches applied, including at least some upstream ones (according to the
changelog of the package).  If some of those patches introduced the
binary incompatibility present in upstream 5.8.1, 5.8.0 would be a
candidate for removal from the compat lists too.