[Fedora-packaging] perl module MODULE_COMPAT

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Apr 2 10:57:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 05:26:40 +0200 (CEST), Dag Wieers wrote:

> > > One important point, you are (or have been) effectively dropping support
> > > for every distro prior to FC1.
> >
> > No. That's what the perl-forward-compat package has been for:
> >
> > http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/8.0/i386/RPMS.stable/perl-forward-compat-5.8.0-0.fdr.2.i386.rpm
>
> Seems reasonable, only that it is yet again different than how it is
> handled with python. I know the situation is a bit different, but the
> implementation is completely different. (naming and how versioning works)

Yes, it's different, but it was subject to public discussion [1], and
none of the few people who had comments disagreed strongly.

With the new and automated 'python(abi) = ...' dependency in FC4 devel,
the solution on the Python side has become even more different, btw.

--
[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2004-February/thread.html#00678