[Fedora-packaging] kernel-modules in the buildsystem (Was: Re: Stuff to look for in plague 0.4)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Aug 23 05:47:53 UTC 2005

CC fedora-packaging because this concerns kernel-module-packaging

Am Dienstag, den 23.08.2005, 01:18 -0400 schrieb seth vidal:
> On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 12:17 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 19.08.2005, 21:40 -0400 schrieb Dan Williams:
> > > Quite a few things will change for plague 0.4:
> > > [...]
> > > If anyone has more thoughts, file some RFEs in bugzilla for Fedora Extras
> > > Infrastructure.
> >
> > What is the current status of passing special options to the actual
> > rpmbuild call? We should have those for building kernel-modules because
> > building kernel-modules for a lot of different kernels would be much
> > easier if no changes to the actual kernel-module-specfile are needed. In
> > the current KernelModuleProposal-Example2 (*1) this is realized by:
> >
> > %{!?kver:  %define  kver            %(uname -r)}
> > [...]
> > make KVERS=%{kver} KSRC="%{_usrsrc}/kernels/%{kver}-%{_target_cpu}" -C driver
> >
> > So if someone builds the src.rpm at home it is rebuild for the current
> > kernel. When build with mock the buildsystem should defined kver.
> > Something like:
> >
> > for kernel in <list of target kernels [example: current-kernel.i586 current-kernel.i686 current-kernel-smp.i586]>
> > do
> > 	mock build /path/to/srpm --define "kver $kernel"
> > done
> >
> > AFACS we need support for this in both mock and plague (or is something
> > like that already possible? mach can pass options to rpmbuild, mock
> > can't iirc)
>
> I do not think that adding this into mock or rpmbuild is a good idea,
> honestly.

For other packages I agree. Kernel-modules should be a exception IMHO.

>  If the package won't built w/o arbitrary defines then we'll
> have a devil of a time figuring out how to REBUILD it later.

It builds for the normal user without arbitrary defines. And even
better: It automatically builds what you probably want, because with the
above it builds the kernel-module for the currently running kernel. If
you get a random kernel-module.src.rpm where kver ist hardcoded you have
to edit it each time to get compile against a new kernel.

BTW, this is in all three proposals in
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/KernelModuleProposal

If we all agree that we don't like passing arguments to rpmbuild then we
should restart the kernel-module-discussion on fedora-packaging.

CU
thl