[Fedora-packaging] Re: kernel-modules in the buildsystem (Was: Re: Stuff to look for in plague 0.4)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Aug 23 06:27:09 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, den 23.08.2005, 01:59 -0400 schrieb seth vidal:
> > For other packages I agree. Kernel-modules should be a exception IMHO.
>
> I worry that having them as the exception means we have to do the code
> anyway which makes it a slippery-damn-slope to all packages using
> arbitrary defines.

:)

> > It builds for the normal user without arbitrary defines. And even
> > better: It automatically builds what you probably want, because with the
> > above it builds the kernel-module for the currently running kernel. If
> > you get a random kernel-module.src.rpm where kver ist hardcoded you have
> > to edit it each time to get compile against a new kernel.
> >
> why doesn't it automatically build for whatever the highest installed
> kernel-devel or highest installed kernel package is?

And who decides when a module for a smp-kernel is build and when not?
Doing this with

%build
buildfunc()
{
  make something
}
%ifarch i686 x86_64 ppc
build up
build smp
%else
build up
%endif

in the spec is really ugly (and not possible with our current scheme
afaics -- need to try, but i suspect it won't work).

CU
thl