[Fedora-packaging] Re: DKMS into Fedora Extras

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Feb 22 04:01:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 20:44 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 19:47 -0500, Chuck R. Anderson wrote:
>
>>How does this sound?  I think this should just "do the right thing"
>>without any more configuration than the existing "installonlypkgs=" we
>>have today.
>
>It seems reasonable to me, Seth, what do you think?

I think it still leaves in a bad place for when a kernel module is
updated w/o changing kernel versions.

if you have:
kernel-module
ver=1.0.9
release=2.6.10-1ac-15

and an update which is:
kernel-module
ver=1.1.0
release=2.6.10-1ac-15

so the kernel module has changed version  - but not kernel.

so it really, actually, needs to be updated.

which isn't a problem - except that b/c the pkg name is the same - an
update will remove ALL the older versions for that package.

so if you have:
kernel-module
ver=1.0.9
release=2.6.9-1ac-15

installed - then that goes away on an update.

Maybe I missed it but I'm not sure how his proposal solves for that
case.

-sv