[Fedora-packaging] Re: DKMS into Fedora Extras

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Feb 23 07:10:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, seth vidal wrote:

>> Mm, you *could* do that by doing a "manual" update of erasing the specific
>> older version of the package and installing the new, instead of using
>> rpm's normal update procedure. Actually this has been brought up before on
>> the subject of kernel-module packages, on freshrpms-list IIRC. I wasn't
>> excited about doing such a "manual" update from apt for this special case
>> then and I'm not now either :)
>

> <sigh> God this is going to be ugly.
>
> Like really, really, really ugly.

No s**t. I think dealing with that should be possible from apt's
lua-scripts just like the current "magic" is but I haven't given it
much thought since the current scheme "just works" with the
uname-in-package-name scheme which.. I don't like either but at least it
works.

For your (and others') <cough> amusement, there's a long and lively
discussion about kernel-module dependencies, naming schemes etc at
http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2004-March/thread.html
Something inside my head keeps saying there's a nice solution to this all
but we're just too blind to see it. Most likely I've just been too much
into mushrooms lately however... :P

 	- Panu -