[Fedora-packaging] Naming Policy (first draft)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Feb 23 23:10:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 23:17 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

>Some comments after a quick read-through:
>
>1) Version and release-tags: Package version should obviously follow
>upstream version in normal, sane cases but especially things like 1.0-
>pre1 need special rules to handle without epochs, those should be
>covered in this doc. The old fedora.us packaging guidelines doc, section
>C-3 (http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines) pretty much
>covers these cases if you drop the 0.fdr tags from the rules.

The old C-3 section seemed sane, so I dropped the 0.fdr tagging, cleaned
up the rules a bit, and included them.

>2) While at versions and releases: can we *please* have a standard on
>release-tags. Current FC trees have a wild variety of things in there
>like "3jpp_2fc", in general a truly random FC3 vs fc2 dist-tags for some
>packages (disttags are just fine when needed but can we standardize on
>lowercase like with package names, please :) .. and so on. Just do
>'rpm -qp --qf "%{release}\n" *|sort -u' on current FC-devel RPMS
>directory for giggles. Please let's have a standard of allowed
>characters in release and version tags as well since we're having one
>for names?

Does the current release standard seem sane? Numeric incrementals,
starting at 1, with the exception case of packages having non-numeric
versions?

That way, it keeps all the junk out of the Release field, and any
non-numeric characters that do appear are there for a valid reason.

>3) Addon packages: when a package is renamed, eg 'adodb' -> 'php-adodb'
>it *might* be a good idea to add the original name as a "Provides:
>adodb" so people looking for upstream naming can find it more easily.

The "Renaming a Package" section covers this.

>Oh and FWIW current rawhide contains quite a few packages other than
>pam_ and SDL_ with underscores in the name (see below). Of these the
>various apache mod_foo packages are numerous enough to warrant an
>exception rule of their own, others should perhaps be renamed?

Added Apache httpd to the pam/SDL rule, added a "packages with locales"
rule, and added an "upstream name uses underscore" rule.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!