[Fedora-packaging] Naming Policy (first draft)

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Feb 23 23:40:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Chuck R. Anderson wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:09:38PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > Looks good, I would propose a standard SPEC file (in the SRPM) formatted
> > as:
> >
> > 	%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-%{repotag}.spec
>
> -1.  It is easier to deal with shorter spec names that match the
> package %{name} and hence the name in CVS.

In what sense ? As you have to rename the SPEC files yourself in between
installs (or change .rpmmacros). For ordinary users fixing something
(those that contribute and I want to stimulate contributing :)) having
identifiable SPEC filenames is more important than a short filename.

> > If your working on a SPEC file and install several other versions, this
> > would prevent SPEC files replacing others. And the origin is clear too.
>
> The origin is already clear from the contents of the spec file...  If
> you are worried about overwriting spec files from multiple versions,
> then you should also be worried about overwriting sources and
> patches...

In fact, I have a seperate environment for everything my buildsystem does
and what I install from other sources. So I'm not that worried about
replaced source files because I do not use them directly.

However I often have several SPEC files from several SRPMs installed and
if they're all being called the same I have to manually intervene to
correct that. (With CVS access to FE this may be less of a problem for FE,
but still...)

> You can already prevent these problems with a suitable .rpmmacros
> file:
>
> %_topdir	/home/cra/src/redhat
> %_ntopdir	%{_topdir}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}
> %_builddir	%{_ntopdir}
> %_sourcedir	%{_ntopdir}
> %_specdir	%{_ntopdir}
> %_rpmfilename	%%{NAME}-%%{VERSION}-%%{RELEASE}.%%{ARCH}.rpm
> %_rpmdir	%{_topdir}/RPMS
> %_srcrpmdir	%{_topdir}/SRPMS

The difference is that this has to be manually configured and 'unique'
SPEC files is something users will enjoy without configuration. And SRPMs
in the end will be more used by end-users (like I am when looking at
other's people work) than by the packagers themselves.

Additionally having to use differently versioned directories to diff 2
SPEC files is more annoying than diffing 2 versioned filenames in the same
directory.

So I prefer the latter, not that it's that important.