[Fedora-packaging] PackageNamingGuidelines comments

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Feb 24 19:20:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 13:52 -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:

> Inter-repo wars are going to exist whether or not Fedora chooses to use
> epoch - they have no bearing on this decision.

Non-zero epochs are very inconvenient for 3rd party packagers in
general, and especially those who need versioned dependencies and try to
achieve cross-distro specfiles.  It's not only "inter-repo"; think
"upstream", non-FOSS vendors etc.

Yeah, those aren't necessarily the primary target group for FC/FE, but
we have a simple, documented workaround that does not make our life
harder, and certainly does make someone's easier, so why not apply it?

Epochs may also cause nasty surprises even inside a single repository.
They just aren't prominent enough.