[Fedora-packaging] disttag

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Feb 25 13:26:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 00:49 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
>> With the high probability of being flamed again, RPMforge settled for:
>>
>> 0.el2 < 0.rh7 < 0.rh8 < 0.rh9 < 1.el3 < 1.fc1 < 1.fc2 < 1.fc3 < 2.el4 < 2.fc4 < 2.fc5
>>
>> with the advantage of having an upgrade path between EL and FC. I know
>> it's controversial but at least if fulfills an important goal (even though
>> Red Hat does not support upgrades between Fedora and Enterprise).
>
> The very topic is outside of the scope of Fedora Extras, however, no one
> is trying to make life harder for anyone upgrading between Fedora and
> Enterprise (their life is painful enough).

I don't see why we should add cruft to our release tags to help people
shoot their own feet either. I'm not going to start flamewar over this -
there are worse things in life that RPMforge disttags :) but I simply
don't see no value added whatsoever by trying to create an upgrade path
for *extras* when one doesn't exist for the actual products.

 	- Panu -