[Fedora-packaging] PackageNamingGuidelines comments

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Feb 25 13:40:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Elliot Lee wrote:
> It's sounding like most people are comfortable with a policy of "Use
> upstream version in Version:, unless rpm comparisons will get messed up,
> in which case you should munge the Release: using the guidelines given".

"unless rpm comparisons will get messed up" translates to "if versions
have non-numeric data in them" most of the time. Like I said earlier I'm
not opposed to allowing alphabets in versions for post-release updates in
sane cases like 1.0 -> 1.0a BUT allowing non-numeric stuff in version
leaves a wide opening for mistakes, leading to unnecessary epoch
inflation. Epochs ARE evil and confusing to users and packagers as well,
much more so than munged version-release tags (simply an empirical
observation made over the years on various mailing lists).

 	- Panu -