[Fedora-packaging] Re: Introduction

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat Feb 26 15:23:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 11:09 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

>Is this list really only for Fedora Extras, formerly fedora.us
>practices? Can't it be extended to a larger universe?

My little piece of the universe is Fedora Extras. That doesn't mean
other people can't use these standards for their pieces of the universe.
It also doesn't mean that I'm ignoring everything else, feedback is
welcome from everyone.

>This was the main obstruction that created the hasm two years ago
>between fedora.us and the rest of the world. It would be nice to
>attack this issue w/o isolating again any parties.

My primary goal is to create a set of packaging standards and guidelines
that will encourage more people to package for Fedora Extras.
Inevitably, I won't be able to make everyone happy, but I am interested
in making the majority happy enough to contribute.

>What about Fedora Core itself? It doesn't make sense to have Fedora
>Core and Extras living side by side having different naming/versioning
>policies.

You're right. Which is why I'm glad we have some @redhat.com folks who
have control over the Fedora Core packaging standards on this list. My
hope is that if the Fedora Extras standards are accepted, used, and
successful, it will transfer over to Fedora Core.

>In fact I would go as far as to say that a sane set of packaging
>practices should not only be applicable to Fedora, but to RHEL as well
>(whether RHEL adopts it is another topic, but it should not be cut off
>from the beginning), and - why not - even outside the Red Hat rpm
>world.

I don't see any reason why anyone else shouldn't adopt these guidelines
for packaging. We're definitely not saying "ONLY FEDORA EXTRAS MAY
PACKAGE PACKAGES LIKE THIS".

>A lot of issues discussed here already have good solutions and defacto
>standards in 3rd party repos for Fedora Core or other distributions.

Great! Please help me out, since I don't know of these other solutions
and standards, and point me to them when I start reinventing the wheel.

>I'd like to finally see a common effort on this and see the
>unneccessary barriers break to pieces. :)

I agree. Just keep in mind that I'm NOT out to get anyone, and I'm not
trying to pee in anyone's swimming pool, I'm just trying to document
simple standards that are easy to follow. :)

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!