[Fedora-packaging] Re: Epoch policy

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Feb 26 16:24:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 16:53 +0100, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
>Hi all
>
>In the new PackageNamingGuidelines, there is nothing about epochs. What is
>the new Extras policy regarding Epochs ? New packages should be created
>without Epochs, but what about Fedora.us imported packages ? Should I drop
>Epoch in the next releases ? Should I do it only for the devel branch ?

1. Look on the fedora-packaging list for the discussion
2. my guess is:
   a. if the fedora.us package had a non-zero epoch it needs to be
maintained - just so users have an upgrade path
   b. if the fedora.us package had an Epoch: 0 drop it and remove
%{epoch} from anyplace you have it in ver strings.

I'm cc'ing the packaging list to see if that seems right to them.
-sv