[Fedora-packaging] Re: DKMS into Fedora Extras

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Feb 21 19:48:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 13:19 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 14:05 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>
> >we might be able to do something like:
> >if two kernel modules have the same name but different versions then
> >it's an update.
> >
> >that would require:
> > - kernel-version-in-module-package-name
> > - provides: kernel-module in the header
> > - consistent use.
>
> I think that's doable. Lets take this thread over here:

Right now yum does the following:

 if it is a kernel or kernel module (ie provides kernel or provides
kernel-modules) then the package is installed not updated.

if we can come up with a consistent pattern for when a kernel-module
will be updated but not installed then I can add it into the function
that determines that sort of stuff.

Right now I'm thinking:
 kernel modules must have kernel-version-release in the package name for
the kernel module - this makes for irritating package naming and cvs
naming but <shrug>

 if a kernel-module has a new version available then it should be
updated, not installed.
 else - kernel modules are installed.

Now - how do we go about getting kernel modules pulled in when new
kernels come out. Clearly it can't be via an update b/c the package name
will change, so yum won't notice it as an update. Doing it via obsoletes
is just yucky. We need something like a kernel-module registry. So we
can track kernel-modules you have installed by something OTHER than
package name.

Thoughts?

-sv