[Fedora-packaging] Re: DKMS into Fedora Extras

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Feb 22 06:20:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, seth vidal wrote:
> I think it still leaves in a bad place for when a kernel module is
> updated w/o changing kernel versions.
>
> if you have:
> kernel-module
> ver=1.0.9
> release=2.6.10-1ac-15
>
> and an update which is:
> kernel-module
> ver=1.1.0
> release=2.6.10-1ac-15
>
> so the kernel module has changed version  - but not kernel.
>
> so it really, actually, needs to be updated.
>
> which isn't a problem - except that b/c the pkg name is the same - an
> update will remove ALL the older versions for that package.
>
> so if you have:
> kernel-module
> ver=1.0.9
> release=2.6.9-1ac-15
>
> installed - then that goes away on an update.
>
> Maybe I missed it but I'm not sure how his proposal solves for that
> case.

I don't see it solving that either. Nobody *likes* those
kernel-module-foo-2.6.10-1.741_FC3 type names but nobody has come up with
a solution which covers all the cases without the kernel version in
package name. Oh and I think special name-based hacks are required for
this anyway... and I seriously doubt you want those in yum proper.

If I understood correctly the Xtrigger-stuff should allow pushing the
special kernel-module handling to a separate script/module and enabled
only where needed, somewhat like my apt lua-script which handles (or
at least tries to :) this mess.

 	- Panu -