[Fedora-packaging] Re: DKMS into Fedora Extras

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Feb 22 15:25:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, seth vidal wrote:

>> I think you missed my logic for this case.  If there would be an
>> update for a kernel-module, and the update has the same Requires: as
>> an existing installed kernel-module of the same name, then replace the
>> installed one with the new one, but don't touch any others that have
>> Requires: for a different kernel.
>
> and I think you missed my point:
> rpm can't do that.
>
> it doesn't just update a single older version - it updates ALL older
> versions.

Mm, you *could* do that by doing a "manual" update of erasing the specific
older version of the package and installing the new, instead of using
rpm's normal update procedure. Actually this has been brought up before on
the subject of kernel-module packages, on freshrpms-list IIRC. I wasn't
excited about doing such a "manual" update from apt for this special case
then and I'm not now either :)

 	- Panu -