[Fedora-packaging] Re: DKMS into Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Feb 22 16:17:28 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, den 22.02.2005, 09:18 -0600 schrieb Tom 'spot' Callaway:
> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 10:00 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> Hopefully, nothing is depending on a kernel-module package (we can
> always enforce this by saying anything that DOES depend on a
> kernel-module package should be packaged with it).

That is bad. Take the ati and nvidia drivers for example. They depend on
a kernel-module. Packaging them together is no option there. It would be
stupid to package a ~100k module together with a 3,5 MB (numbers from
the ATI driver) graphics driver is stupid for kernel updates. Also
parallel installation will make problems again.

> How many kernel-module packages are we really considering here?

In extras we had ony a kerel module for a thinkpad-driver IIRC. We had
als in the FC1 days.

And as I wrote yesterday already:

Also I'm wondering how we should deal with kernel-modules in extras in
general. davej/Core refuses everything that is not upstream for a good
reason. If we put everything in extras it looks a bit "odd" IMHO.