[Fedora-packaging] disttag

Carwyn Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Fri Feb 25 00:53:13 UTC 2005

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

>In the event that a single spec file is used for multiple versions of
>Fedora Extras, it is feasible that two packages with identical
>"%{name}-%{version}-%{release}" values could exist.

This is going on a tanget I admit but .. looking forwards couldn't RPM
be taught to use a specific DistTag: tag for this. RPM version
comparisons could then be based on something like
%{disttag}:%{epoch}:%{version}-%{release} (%{disttag} == 0 signifying a
dist agnostic package). Rpmbuild could even implicitly set this using a
disttag macro like the one you suggest.

To keep overloading the Release: tag with more implicit information
seems wrong.

Carwyn