[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Jul 2 08:08:34 UTC 2005

mattdm at mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

> While I'm in favor of just having a registry rather than the added
> complication of the wrapper tool, I'd really, really, really like to
> use a different range, because those 30000-range UIDs already belong
> to people at BU and it will make using Fedora a Vast Pain.

As told in another posting,

| echo 63000 >/etc/fedora/usermgmt/basegid
| echo 63000 >/etc/fedora/usermgmt/baseuid

would change the used range to 63000-....

But somebody seems to have configured it already as:

* the predefined base-ids are '300' in the fedora-usermgmt-setup package
* the 'predictable uid' mechanism is turned off by default and users
  will be created dynamically. You have to turn it on explicitly by

  | /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --set fedora-usermgmt /etc/fedora/usermgmt/scripts.shadow-utils

Enrico