[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jul 3 08:18:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 09:44 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> (Does useradd -r still use the wacky logic of picking the next-highest UID
> instead of the lowest available? That should be fixed if so -- I have a
> patch to change the general behavior but haven't checked if useradd -r
> follows its own logic.)

If you are going to patch useradd with the -r switch - can it also be
changed to use a group ID that matches the UID?

Fedora installs a group with group ID 100 but no user with uid 100 so
when you use useradd with the -r switch, you end up with a different
uid/gid - which isn't a functional problem, but isn't how other pairs of
user/group are done.

I filed an RFE bug on that some time ago, it doesn't appear to have been
acted on however.