[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Jul 5 17:34:16 UTC 2005

steve at silug.org (Steven Pritchard) writes:

>> I agree it can get a bit hairy when several machines share things by
>> NFS, but having a central global UID registry also seems hairy.
>
> In that case, there's NIS/NIS+/LDAP/whatever,

System users should be in /etc/passwd because the requirements for
NIS/LDAP/whatever might not be fulfilled for early services;
e.g. openvpn will be executed before the ldap service so the 'openvpn'
user might not be resolveable at this time.

LDAP/NIS might be unwanted in certain environments also (e.g. on
firewalls, portable machines).

> and it is up to the sysadmin to do any extra work necessary to integrate
> the package into their environment.  In the case of my openvpn package,
> if "useradd -r" does the right thing, then the problem is solved.  If
> not, the sysadmin can just add an openvpn user before installing the
> package.

rpm does not offer a way to determine whether a package creates an user
or not. So the 'just add an ... user before installing' requires lot of
manual work, and automatic updates can not be applied.

Enrico