[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 6 12:33:00 UTC 2005

On Mar 5 juillet 2005 20:32, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:34:16PM +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:
>> System users should be in /etc/passwd because the requirements for
>> NIS/LDAP/whatever might not be fulfilled for early services;
>> e.g. openvpn will be executed before the ldap service so the 'openvpn'
>> user might not be resolveable at this time.
>>
>> LDAP/NIS might be unwanted in certain environments also (e.g. on
>> firewalls, portable machines).
>
> And those systems don't need to share files owned by system users, so
> it is a non-issue.

Those systems can share files owned by system users via backups, which may
or may not require fixed UIDs to work, so they need it like everyone else.

The root mistake IMHO was exposing UIDs and GIDs to userspace, had they
been hidden from the start like inodes we would not have all those
problems today. But since they are exposed they need to be kept consistent
like other stuff.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot