[Fedora-packaging] Updated kernel-module-packaging example with ndiswrapper (Was: example kernel-module package)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 20:00:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 21:48 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 10:28 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 18:16 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> >
> > > Or do we solve this with a policy (assuming the process you described
> > > above would be implemented): "always bump the release of the "main"
> > > package of a module package before building it for a new kernel"?
> > > That'd result in only one srpm per module package per released kernel
> > > "family".
> >
> > It would also result in unnecessary package upgrades.
>
> How so?  We wouldn't be building the module package again for older
> kernels unless there are some real changes in it.  To illustrate
> (leaving "tr - _" needed for the release tag aside for a moment):

The buildsystem has no way of knowing this, nor do users. The only
reasonable way is to rebuild for all existant kernels when we increment
release. This means that if a new kernel comes out, all my old kernels
get new kernel-module-foo packages downloaded and installed, when all i
needed was a kernel-module-foo for my new kernel.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!