[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 23:51:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 16:47 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Is there an official policy for what packages that add users for their
> processes to run as ought to do? I notice the recent clamav package still
> uses fedora-usrmgmt, but I can't find any reference to that in the current
> wiki, and that package still has the obsolete fedora.us wiki as its URL.
>
> What's the Right Thing here?

It seems like all fedora-usermgmt was doing is as follows:

- Reserve a UID for a package to use.
- Add 30000 to that UID.

Why don't we just have packagers request a UID for a package on a wiki
page, starting at 30012 (fedora.us had 30000 - 30011)? Then, use the
normal tools to create the user.

Alternately, we could just keep using fedora-usermgmt. I'd assume it
made its way into the FE repo, since clamav is using it? We just need to
migrate the wiki pages.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!