[Fedora-packaging] Updated kernel-module-packaging example with ndiswrapper (Was: example kernel-module package)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Jul 3 14:21:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 16:11 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> - These macro definitions are now found in the top of the spec file:
> %{!?kver:  %define  kver            %(uname -r)}
>            %define  ksrc            %{_usrsrc}/kernels/%{kver}-%{_target_cpu}
>            %define  moddir          /lib/modules/%{kver}/kernel/misc
>            %define  mainpkgname     ndiswrapper
>            %define  mainpkgversion  1.2
>            %define  mainpgkrelease  1
> Yes, in other packages I would not like these "mainpkg*" definitions on
> the top, but in this type of package I think they are helpful.

I think you're mostly right. mainpkgversion and mainpkgrelease are
redundant, however. Just use Version and Release for that.

> - The main kernel-module package is now named
> "kernel-module-%{mainpkgname}-base" (if someones knows something better
> then "base" tell me).

Perhaps instead of -base, it could be -source. I'm ambivalent on that,
really.

> The kernel-module itself is now placed in
>  %package -n kernel-module-%{mainpkgname}
> So only one SRPM is created no matter how much different kernel-modules
> are build.

This makes sense, good thinking.

> - Avoid some problems when kernel-module and kernel are deleted in one
> rpm transaction (anyone knows a better way to fix? "Requires(postun):
> kernel-%{_target_cpu} = %{kver}" does not work):
> -- Only depmod when System.map is still there
>  %postun -n kernel-module-%{mainpkgname}
>  [ -e "/boot/System.map-%{kver}" ] && \
>  /sbin/depmod -e -F /boot/System.map-%{kver} %{kver}> /dev/null || :
> -- In %files:
> %dir /lib/modules/%{kver}/
> so that dir is removed during remove.

The kernel package already owns that dir, I don't see why this is here.
rpm removal ordering should take the module out first, then the kernel.
Is that not the case?

All in all, very good work. I think your proposal is shaping up to work
well. Thanks for the time.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!