[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Jul 5 12:07:32 UTC 2005

Christian.Iseli at licr.org wrote :

> That's the part I don't understand: why a global registry ?

[...]
> I agree it can get a bit hairy when several machines share things by NFS, but
> having a central global UID registry also seems hairy.

That's the point : Fixed uid/gid is often a good thing, I have many setups
where a bunch of redundant servers access the same nfs share, and I'm in
trouble when I install packages on those servers which create a user with
a non fixed uid, and one gets say 201 and the other 202...

I'm really grateful to know I can expect apache to be uid 48 everywhere,
for instance.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC3
Load : 0.40 1.01 2.31