[Fedora-packaging] OpenAFS kernel-module package

Jack Neely jjneely at pams.ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 7 14:24:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:34:35AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:52:01PM -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> > I've whipped up some new OpenAFS packages based on some of what we have
> > discussed and proposed regarding kernel module packages.  I'm kinda
> > suprised that Matthew hasn't beaten me to it.  :-)
>
> Yeah, I was foolishly waiting for things to settle down. :)

Nonsense!!

> Honestly, I'm glad someone else is working on this -- I'm glad to help, but
> OpenAFS is too big and complicated to depend on just one maintainer.

We've had similar but seprate packages for a long time now.  All about
finding something that works for both of us well.

> I'll take a look at what you've got ... should the rest of this discussion
> be moved to the Fedora Extras list?

I don't know.  Yum isn't ready to handle kernel modules yet.  My patch
wont be in 2.3.4 and there more patches that need writing to deal with "I
need to install kernel-module-openafs now what VRs do I install?"  The
hard ones.

Since OpenAFS seems to be the common case to a lot of folks, and isn't
trivial to package...might as well let folks have a look.  :-)

Jack

--
Jack Neely <slack at quackmaster.net>
Realm Linux Administration and Development