[Fedora-packaging] Where to install examples to?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jul 8 09:27:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 10:58 +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> rc040203 at freenet.de (Ralf Corsepius) writes:
>
> > I am observing packages in FE installing examples/demos to /usr/bin.
> > Do people agree upon this to be good packaging practice or not?
> >
> > IMO, it is not, because
> > * This gradually fills up /usr/bin.
> > * Many such examples/demos are semi-functional or less and have never
> >   been designed to be used by the public.
>
> ACK; additionally:
>
> * it may add additional dependencies; e.g. when haing a C project which
>   ships a perl script as demo, the entire package will require perl.
>
>   Packaging the demo into /usr/lib or as %doc will not help much as
>   rpm generates deps for all files (inclusive %doc) :( So a separate
>   subpackage will be the best solution.
I realize I have not been precise enough. The trigger for this thread to
me had been example/demo binaries handling in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-commits/2005-July/msg00619.html

In this case, "example binaries" are being packaged into an *-examples
package and are installed to /usr/bin. The question here is, should
these binaries be installed at all, or should they better be installed
accompanying the source code somewhere else, or should the whole
examples not be installed at all (This seems to have been the intention
of the original authors, because the original Makefiles do not install
them).

If they are coding examples, IMO, it would be best to only ship the
sources (then /usr/share/doc probably would be appropriate), or to
ship these binaries, accompanied by the source-code somewhere
under /usr/lib/<package>.

When having faced a similar problem with my Inventor package some time
ago at fedora.us, the outcome of a similar discussion was to ship
Inventor's examples source-code without binaries
below /usr/lib/<Inventor> (c.f. Inventor-examples).

A counter example to this consideration is gtk-demo. RH ships it as part
of the gtk2 package :(

Ralf