[Fedora-packaging] Using self-Obsoletes instead of Epoch bumps?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jun 21 17:59:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 13:39 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 20:38 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 13:27 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > >
> > > and at that point wouldn't the package be obsoleting itself b/c of the
> > > version confusion?
> >
> > Yes.  But as I said above, always "=".  Not "<=" or anything else.
>
> then you'll only catch that specific version - I can see that becoming
> sticky once you have to limp them along for multiple releases.

Multiple releases, yes, but not forever.  If I understand "sticky"
correctly in this context, that was also noted in my initial post.  The
question was whether the burden would be manageable and tolerable.  To
ease it a bit (but also limiting future options somewhat), dropping
Release from the otherwise versioned Obsoletes would be possible in most
cases.