[Fedora-packaging] Kernel modules (was: Re: tpctl in extras missing dependancy for kernel-module-thinkpad)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 01:14:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 20:56 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 19:40 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > Version: 1.1
> > (where the value in the Version field is equivalent to the kernel module
> > version, NOT the kernel version we're building against (in this example,
> > "1", followed by the build revision, in this example ".1")
>
> > If a bugfix needs to be made to the package, then the .1 (build
> > revision) is incremented. If a new version of the kernel driver is
> > released, then the first part of the Version is incremented, and the
> > build revision is reset to .1 (if it is not .1).
>
> Where do you propose that we put the version number of the module
> itself, if it's not an integer (e.g., 0.6.3)? Should we have 0.6.3.1 in
> that case?

Yes. If you need to use the version number of the module itself without
a build revision, then we can use something like:

Provides: kernel-module-openafs-version = 0.6.3

We could also standardize on a macro, something like %{modulever},
define it at the top, then use it throughout the spec file for clarity.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!