[Fedora-packaging] example kernel-module package

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jun 30 17:26:08 UTC 2005

Am Donnerstag, den 30.06.2005, 18:47 +0200 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 17:11 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 15:52 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> > If you want to optimize SRPM download sizes, why not just supply a
> > separate trimmed-down tarball containing only the kernel module bits in
> > the kernel module SRPM (and include comments in the specfile how it was
> > created from the upstream dist tarball, or include a script to do it in
> > the source rpm)?  And if you want, another similar trimmed one in the
> > userland SRPM containing only the non-kernel-module parts.
> Actually, I fail to see where this approach _really_ reduces bandwidth
> requirements.

Sourcecode for the kernel-module parts livna ati-fglrx package: around
4,5 MByte for x86 and x86_64 together. Whole SRPM (includes x86_64 and
x86): 22 MByte.

> Users who are rebuilding the rpms, should learn to download the srpm
> once.

Every two month when ati releases a new driver.

>  Afterwards, they'll have it "on disk" and don't have to
> re-download it again.

Sure.

> I would expect the high rate of downloads of kernel-module-*src.rpms you
> might be seeing at Livna to originate from delays between kernel
> releases in FC and kernel-module releases at Livna.

People use those to build against rawhide, kernels from updates-testing
and even self-compiled kernels (not possible with the scheme we
currently discuss here for extras). If I broke something there I got
bug-reports shortly after release...

> [...]
CU
thl