[Fedora-packaging] "License" tag for GPL w/ exception

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 05:04:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 12:34 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I'm finally getting around to cleaning up the nedit SRPM (from Fedora
> CVS) for inclusion in Extras, and rpmlint is complaining about the
> "License: distributable" tag in the SPEC file.  nedit is licensed under
> the GPL, with the following exception:
>
>    In addition, as a special exception to the GNU GPL, the copyright
>    holders   give permission to link the code of this program with the
>    Motif and Open Motif libraries (or with modified versions of these
>    that use the same license), and distribute linked combinations
>    including the two. You must obey the GNU General Public License in all
>    respects for all of the code used other than linking with Motif/Open
>    Motif. If you modify this file, you may extend this exception to your
>    version of the file, but you are not obligated to do so. If you do not
>    wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your version.
>
> So what is the appropriate tag?

Use "GPL (with Motif/Open Motif linking exception)" or something equally
concise and relevant. rpmlint will spit on that too, but I'd rather have
it be accurate than have it be something vague like "distributable".

Thanks,

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!