[Fedora-packaging] example kernel-module package

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 14:07:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 15:52 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> sorry, I was mostly away the last two days so you had to fight with
> kernel-modules alone. I'll try to catch up and reply where I think it's
> needed.
>
> Anyway, I created a example package with kernel-modules for ndiswrapper
> to play a bit with the discussed scheme. It
>
> I maintain ndiswrapper (and some other kernel-module-packages) already
> for livna. I just chooesed it for this example cause it's small, builds
> fast and needs a userspace-program and a kernel-module.
>
> I followed the example in the wiki and some posts on this list. I split
> the package in a userland package that creates a %{name}-kmsrc.rpm that
> is used by the kernel-module-package as source. Something like this
> would be neat package like nvidia als ati drivers where a single srpm is
> quite big if you want to rebuild only the kernel-module (yes, it seems a
> lot of users of livna users do that).

I think the source should be a Source0 in kernel-module-ndiswrapper. I'm
not very comfortable with confusing people with src.rpms that have no
source in them. Yes, I know this means duplication of source code in two
SRPMS, but disk is cheap. Nosrc.rpms are part of the slipperly slope to
SuSE town. :/

Otherwise, I think you're right on target. (Ignoring the fact that I
think ndiswrapper should probably be ExclusiveArch: i586 i686)

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!