[Fedora-packaging] disttag

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 03:29:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 03:01 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
>"Tom 'spot' Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> writes:
>
>>>An easy to way to fix this would be to have "%{?disttag}" appended to the
>>>"Release:" line of the spec by the build system, and have the "." returned
>>>by the macro
>> I prefer the %{?disttag:.%{disttag}} syntax for use, if for no other
>> reason than it makes the macro a little cleaner.
>
>IMO, the opposite it true... defining the macro happens once at a central
>place invisible for most people, but it will be used in hundreds of .spec
>files (perhaps). So I would prefer a clear and simple usage.

This is really semantics.

Its either:
We use %{?disttag:.%{disttag}} in the Release: field, and we
conditionalize like this: %if "%{disttag}" == "2.fc3"

Or, we use %{?disttag:%{disttag}} in the Release: field, and we
conditionalize like this: %if "%{disttag}" == ".2.fc3"

It doesn't matter to me. I'd prefer the extra period in the Release
field with the simplified conditionals, but if everyone else prefers the
other way around, then I'll document the other way.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!