[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Mar 4 20:18:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:29:45 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > What is the official policy about packages in Fedora Extras which
> > marked as conflicting with eachother?
>
> Conflicting packages are bad, period. Makes writing installers
> messy, as conflicts are done at the last stage of resolution.
>
> They really should be avoided if at all possible.
>
> > I think there are other extras which conflict because they provide same
> > or similar functionality, not limited to "leafnode" and "suck",
> > "oidentd" and "pidentd" (core), "proftd" and "vsftpd anonftp" (core).
>
> Are these real physical conflicts, or merely things that provide
> similar functionality?

Either. To be investigated. I just ran grep on the devel tree in CVS.
proftpd package listing looks like it conflicts physically, also with
old wuftpd.

gpgme-devel and gpgme03-devel (as well as sylpheed-claws and
sylpheed) are physical conflicts.

$ rpmlsv gpgme-devel
-rwxr-xr-x root  root      2755 /usr/bin/gpgme-config
-rw-r--r-- root  root     47745 /usr/include/gpgme.h
-rw-r--r-- root  root    264428 /usr/lib/libgpgme-pth.a
lrwxrwxrwx root  root        22 /usr/lib/libgpgme-pth.so
-rw-r--r-- root  root    264290 /usr/lib/libgpgme-pthread.a
lrwxrwxrwx root  root        26 /usr/lib/libgpgme-pthread.so
-rw-r--r-- root  root    268276 /usr/lib/libgpgme.a
lrwxrwxrwx root  root        18 /usr/lib/libgpgme.so
-rw-r--r-- root  root      8034 /usr/share/aclocal/gpgme.m4
-rw-r--r-- root  root     55012 /usr/share/info/gpgme.info.gz

As you can imagine, it could get ugly to relocate files like this and
still make sure, API users still find them. gpgme03's only API/ABI user
left is sylpheed-claws, which might catch up with main sylpheed GPGME 1.0
support soon. And then old gpgme03 can go for good.