[Fedora-packaging] X-Fedora vs. X-Fedora-Extra vs. X-Fedora-Extras

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Mar 8 18:38:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le mardi 08 mars 2005 à 18:01 +0100, Dag Wieers a écrit :
>
> > Michael, my point is, if almost everything will be in Extras, what use
> > does it have to tag them the same way ? I'd much rather have something
> > explicit for that purpose, like:
> >
> > 	TopLevel
> > 	SubLevel
> >
> > Than something that you will use as a default tag but has no practical
> > use other than this. In fact, if there are other uses besides the
> > TopLevel/SubLevel and the real category, I'd much rather have those
> > explicitly defined and named now too :)
>
> I disagree. If you put very explicit stuff like this in each menu entry
> you spread policy over a large number of packages. That makes it real
> hard to change it later.

Policy is decided later based on the tags. I don't put policy inside of
the packages. But you have to have something to hold on to.

> Much better to put informative stuff here and have the centralised menu
> logic decide what to do with it (and I hope someday each individual
> system user will be able to decide things like "I want all entries with
> this tag in a separate menu" or "I want all stuff with this tag to be
> hidden" etc)

Sure, that's the aim. But you won't be able to do that with a generic
X-Fedora-Extra tag that matches 95% of your packages.

You have to have descriptive tags to base a policy on, what else do you
have ?

But as Paul said, maybe this discussion belongs to freedesktop.org. The
question remains, what is the use of X-Fedora-Extra if all packages are
tagged with it.