[Fedora-packaging] Update guidelines with packages from CVS

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon May 16 13:28:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 12:03 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> No, it isn't. Surely you can avoid the necessity to bump release
> for all branches.

Upon rereading your original mail, I still don't see how this is
avoided. Can you help me understand how the following test cases would
work:

(Assume that FC-3 and FC-4 are current, FC-5 in devel. Also keep in mind
the aforementioned Golden Rule, that packages in FC-3 < FC-4)

1. The Normal Case

In the FC-3 repo, you have:

foo-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

In the FC-4 repo, you have:

foo-1.0-2.noarch.rpm

You need to errata the FC-3 repo.

2. The CVS Case (disconnected)

In the FC-3 repo, you start with:

foo-0.0-1.20050315.noarch.com (pre-release cvs checkout)

In FC-4, you need a later checkout:

foo-0.0-1.20050515.noarch.com

The FC-3 package needs a bugfix errata, without new cvs checkout. FC-4
does not.

3. The CVS Case (same source)

In the FC-3 repo, you start with:

foo-0.0-1.20050515.noarch.com

You use the same cvs co for the FC-4 repo:

foo-0.0-1.20050515.noarch.com

Resolve the conflict in naming between branches, and perform an FC-3
only package errata.

(Note that I have avoided dist tag usage on purpose to avoid
"complicating" the issue, but if they're useful in your solutions, feel
free to reintroduce them here)

Thanks in advance,

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!