[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Christian.Iseli at licr.org Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Wed Sep 7 06:32:17 UTC 2005

rc040203 at freenet.de said:
> I fail to see why system accounts should be shared across networks and why
> there is any need to force unique UIDs on them.

> IMO, system users must be local, only.

+1

Looks like the opinions of the various people didn't change much since the
last round :-)

rc040203 at freenet.de said:
> The only reason for not wanting to remove accounts on package removal to me
> is "accounts leaving stray files somewhere".

> However, rpms should have always have control over all files it owns.

Well, there are many cases of packages producing some files while they run,
which they will not own.  E.g.,

root: rpm -qf /var/log/mysqld.log.4
file /var/log/mysqld.log.4 is not owned by any package
root: ls -l /var/log/mysqld.log.4
-rw-r-----  1 mysql mysql 0 Aug  7 03:02 /var/log/mysqld.log.4

So I think the UID should stay... until the sysadm removes it.

Cheers,
					Christian