[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Sep 7 10:06:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 11:11 +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> >> This does not solve the problem that users will have different UIDs on
> >> different machines.
> > Note the -r. We are talking about system accounts.
>
> The '-r' makes only
>
> * that the generated UID is in a certain range; the exact values are
>   unpredictable and it's highly probably that they differ on different
>   machines
Yes, but ... who cares? All that matters is using consistent ranges in a
local network.

> > I fail to see why system accounts should be shared across networks and
> > why there is any need to force unique UIDs on them.
>
> ok, some examples:
>
> * 'vdr' and 'vdradmin' (from livna) are running on different hosts as
>   the 'vdr:video' user. Both share configuration files and data which is
>   exported by NFS
Then these UID/GIDs probably better should be ordinary uids, instead of
system-user ids.

> * some data in a shared filesystem which shall be read by apache only
>   but not by other users -> all affected machines will need the same
>   uid/gid for apache
To me this is a classical case of a customized network setup. It's the
admin's responsibility to synchronize the uids.

I am doing the same with other dirs on my local network.

> * programs (e.g. milters) which are installed in chroot environments and
>   use unix-sockets as communication points. Access restrictions can be
>   installed easily with filesystem permissions when all chroots are
>   seeing the same user-uid pairs
I can't comment on these.

> * backup/copying between hosts; when user does not exist at the destination
>   yet, resulting files will be readable by the wrong user
Yes, local network admin responsibility.

> * the 'owner' module of iptables requires predictable uids
I can't comment on this.

> * it is confusing and unesthetically when users are having different
>   identities
Let me turn this coin around: You are trying to be stylish and seem to
be trying to project your personal conventions to the public.

You are missing:
* These points are irrelevant in heterogenious networks. Each OS has
different conventions, so any convention is always somehow wrong and
requires hand-crafting.
* Using fixed uids unnecessarily restricts the number of available uids.
You will sooner or later face the problems of all fixed-table based
configuration approaches.
* There is nothing which prevents you to generate consistent uids in
your network.

> > IMO, system users must be local, only.
>
> Yes; but they can access/own files on shared filesystems so all systems
Depends on your setup.

> should have the same view about them.
I don't understand.

> It is easy to create users with predictable uids and fedora-usermgmt
> offers a simple method doing this.  I am not aware of any drawbacks,
> it solves the problem of unpredictable uids and without explicit
> configuration it is transparent to users because it has the same
> behavior as plain 'useradd' then. So I do not see reasons why it
> should not be used.

Frankly speaking, I am no friend of fedora-usermgmt. To the same extent
it might help you, it interferes with my demands.

Ralf