[Fedora-packaging] gnome-screensaver packaging problem

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat Sep 10 19:41:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 10:56 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Sep  9, 2005, Ricardo Veguilla Gonzalez <veguilla at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Problem #1 - Since gnome-screensaver is a gnome replacement for
> > xscreensaver
>
> If it's a replacement for something in Core, it seems to me that it
> should not be in Extras, but rather in an Alternatives repository, no?

There is no such thing as Fedora Alternatives, nor do I really see a
reason for it. Many of the items in Extras qualify as "Alternatives" to
things in Core. Rather than segmenting these packages off into some sort
of special repository (which doesn't solve the problems that
gnome-screensaver faces), it would be easier to fix packages which
hardcode on name (in this case control-center), and possibly use
alternatives to manage it (similar to how sendmail/postfix are handled).

IMHO, of course. :)

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!