[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Sep 12 09:32:41 UTC 2005

On Mer 7 septembre 2005 12:06, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>> * 'vdr' and 'vdradmin' (from livna) are running on different hosts as
>>   the 'vdr:video' user. Both share configuration files and data which is
>>   exported by NFS
> Then these UID/GIDs probably better should be ordinary uids, instead of
> system-user ids.

Except "ordinary IDs" can and will be put into LDAP/kerberos/whatever.

Come on folks, the sad truth is
- user and system ID ranges need to be kept separate in any medium-to-big
network. Any mixed system is an admin nightmare, and they're not kept in
the same ID databases
- system IDs must be fixed (fixed as in same in all the nodes of a local
network) for lots of people (maybe not you but don't make life miserable
for others just because you don't need something)
- the current "official" fixed system ID range is much too small

So you need a fedora.us-style solution to create a bigger local fixed
system ID range.

If the original system ID range were ~500 entries instead of 100 we
wouldn't be writing about it today (later though...)

And the problem is more accute for FE than FC because FE ships a lot more
stuff with system IDs *and* the current fixed system ID range is almost
fully used by FC packages.

That being said, I've no special love for the fedora.us way, but the
problem needs to be solved somehow and claiming there is not problem when
lots of people say there is won't help solving it faster.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot