[Fedora-packaging] Python Packaging Hints

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Sat Sep 17 07:07:24 UTC 2005

Hi:

Just some hints for packaging Python (iow, makes my life easier at
http://python.org/pyvault).

1. Use %{__python} as opposed to python in any scriptlets. Especially be
wary of the %pyver definitions using a call to python to grab the
version.

2. Also, I need opinions on #!/usr/bin/python  vs.
#!/usr/bin/pythonX.Y.  Because if a package installs
into /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages, then any old /usr/bin/python
won't work, it'd have to be the version specific /usr/bin/pythonX.Y.
This might be a problem specific to my stuff, so you can ignore it if
it is.
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.maint.python/browse_thread/thread/8d68b4c5434daa6a/703315fed09e0c18%23703315fed09e0c18?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=3

thoughts?
--