[Fedora-packaging] kernel-module-proposal 2 and yum: some tests

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 29 16:57:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 11:36 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 16:58 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> > Seems yum prefers to install the kernel-module for the smp kernel and
> > therefor also installs that kernel even when a UP-Kernel is installed
> > already. Not very nice :-(
>
> But not surprising. The SMP module has a higher version and so yum will
> prefer it over the "older" one. This is one of the reasons for putting
> the kernel version in %name instead.
What I have never understood about this: Why aren't kernel-smp modules
names chosen after the corresponding kernel?

I.e.
UP: kernel-<version> => kernel-module-XXX-<version>
SMP: kernel-smp-<version> => kernel-smp-module-XXX-<version>

IMO, then such a conflict as described above would not happen,
because "kernel-smp-module"  would require "kernel-smp" and
"kernel-module" would require "kernel"

Ralf