[Fedora-packaging] packages which add user accounts: is fedora-usermgmt the way?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 20:42:18 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Christian.Iseli at licr.org <Christian.Iseli at licr.org> wrote:
> 1. I haven't seen a convincing argument why FE packages need to add fixed IDs
I'll send over Uncle Nikko with his wide array of "convincing"
arguments. Which would you prefer tire-iron,wrench, wooden baseball
bat or perhaps crowbar.

> 2. If it is deemed so important to have fixed IDs, why doesn't Fedora Core
>    provide a mechanism to add them ?  Even if I can be convinced at some point
>    that fixed IDs are really needed, I doubt the proper place for the
>    mechanism is in FE.

Fine..eventually it should be in Core or not... but a particularly
shallow packaging problem... that can be addressed by moving the
solution into Core later. Remember Extras a path to inclusion in Core
for "important" items.    We aren't going to get anywhere at all if we
collectively hold our breath, stick our head in the sand, and wait for
someone inside redhat to deem this important or not-important and
decide to add the optimal solution to Core. We get much further by
building a flexible solution in Extras and adjust it based on growing
experience using the solution.

-jef