[Fedora-packaging] gnome-screensaver packaging problem

Ricardo Veguilla González veguilla at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 21:17:57 UTC 2005

> On 9/9/05, Ricardo Veguilla Gonzalez <veguilla at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I was going to submit gnome-screensaver to Fedora Extras, and while
> > checking the spec file[1] for submission, I found the following
> > problems:
> >
> > Problem #1 - Since gnome-screensaver is a gnome replacement for
> > xscreensaver, I decided to add "Provide: xscreensaver" but then to the
> > spec file. The problem is that upgrading xscreensaver will remove
> > gnome-screensaver (xscreensaver obsoletes itself).
> >
> > Problem #2 - gnome-screensaver can use xscreensaver hacks if
> > xscreensaver-extras or xscreensaver-gl-extras are installed, but they
> > depend on xscreensaver-base, which introduces problem #1.
>
> why do you need to provide "xscreensaver"? Can you not provide
> "xscreensaver-base" to solve the problem you want to solve?

Because control-center requires xscreensaver.

If I also provide xscreensaver-base, it will allow gnome-screensaver +
xscreensaver-extras, but upgrading xscreensaver would still remove
gnome-screensaver if both are installed. I could simply make
gnome-screensaver provide and obsolete both "xscreensaver" and
"xscreensaver-base", but I was trying to find a way to allow both of
them installed at the same time.

--
Ricardo Veguilla González <veguilla at gmail.com>