[Fedora-packaging] Name of Gnome applet packages (was: RE: Name of x11 applet packages (common preffix?))

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmx.de
Fri Sep 16 12:24:09 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 12.09.2005, 09:01 -0500 schrieb Tom 'spot' Callaway:
> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 12:41 +0100, Jose' Matos wrote:
>
> > 	My question to the list is if this is appropriate or am I trying to be more
> > papist than the Pope? Probably what I am trying to do unifying the package in
> > a single namespace is better done in metadata...
>
> I really don't think this is common enough to merit its own namespace,
> however, final naming decisions fall on the maintainer. If you've got 20
> of these that you're planning on packaging, then perhaps it makes sense
> for you to name it "x11-applet-*", but I won't force you down that road.
>
> > 	Is this senseless and we should try to abide to the upstream name?
>
> Probably a good idea. :)

Is there any _official_ statement on this topic now?
I have a similar question about the name of gnome-applets, in my case
(#168032) it's gnome-timer-applet vs. gnome-applet timer. The upstream
package ist called timer-applet, I think we need at least gnome as
prefix. But I'm still unsure, whether to name the package applet-foo or
foo-applet :/

On the hand there are:
* gnome-applets
* gnome-applet-netspeed