[Fedora-packaging] Installing man pages

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Sep 27 16:10:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

A question:

Are packages legitimated to install man pages into
arbitrary /usr/share/man/man* directories outside those provided by the
"filesystem" package?

Background:

- the man-pages rpm installs its man-pages into
/usr/share/man/man0p
/usr/share/man/man1p
/usr/share/man/man3p

- the blas and lapack rpms install into
/usr/share/man/manl

Additionally, all these packages leave their man page installation
directories unowned:
# rpm -qf /usr/share/man/man?p /usr/share/man/manl
file /usr/share/man/man0p is not owned by any package
file /usr/share/man/man1p is not owned by any package
file /usr/share/man/man3p is not owned by any package
file /usr/share/man/manl is not owned by any package

I checked the FHS, but it once again seems intentionally vague to me
wrt. this topic, so I think we need a convention, here.

Ralf