[Fedora-packaging] kernel-module-proposal 2 and yum: some tests

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Sep 29 18:04:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 18:57 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> UP: kernel-<version> => kernel-module-XXX-<version>
> SMP: kernel-smp-<version> => kernel-smp-module-XXX-<version>
>
> IMO, then such a conflict as described above would not happen,

A package that requires the kernel modules in question will need to be
able to pull them in by just one NEVR, it cannot list all of the
variants nor hardcode just one of them.  So same Provides of some kind
would then be needed in all UP/SMP/$foo variants which I think would
eventually lead to the same problem.

yum/rpmlib could be "smarter" when resolving dependency trees so that
it'd prefer the one which results in the smallest number of _new_
packages installed if there are multiple choices, at least in some
configured cases.  There's (was?) the pkgpolicy functionality in yum,
dunno if it has this already implemented.  But I guess that'd be a
partial solution anyway.