[Fedora-packaging] kernel-module-proposal 2 and yum: some tests

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Sep 29 18:52:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 19:37 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 29.09.2005, 18:57 +0200 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:

> > > But not surprising. The SMP module has a higher version and so yum will
> > > prefer it over the "older" one. This is one of the reasons for putting
> > > the kernel version in %name instead.
> > What I have never understood about this: Why aren't kernel-smp modules
> > names chosen after the corresponding kernel?
> >
> > I.e.
> > UP: kernel-<version> => kernel-module-XXX-<version>
> > SMP: kernel-smp-<version> => kernel-smp-module-XXX-<version>

This scheme was discussed back in the fedora.us days, what I remember of
this particular topic is that people couldn't agree on whether the name
should be kernel-smp-foo or kernel-foo-smp. :) Also with that scenario
you'll loose the direct uname-r relationship complicating some other
things while solving another. As typically happens with kernel module
packages...

> > IMO, then such a conflict as described above would not happen,
> > because "kernel-smp-module"  would require "kernel-smp" and
> > "kernel-module" would require "kernel"
>
> That could be done but doesn't help here cause ndiswrapper needs to
> depend on kernel{,-smp}-module-ndiswrapper. Yum would still not know if
> it shall install the kernel-module for up or for smp.

Hmm.. if yum would just prefer installed packages providing something
instead of "whatever happens to be available in whatever order they
happen to be encountered" it would solve at least part of this problem.
Oh and if you have both up and smp kernels, well you probably should
have both kernel-module variants. And then there's the question of what
kernel version yum should install the module for - whatever is currently
running isn't necessarily the latest etc. No matter what path I've
followed with these, I've always ended up *something* requiring some
naming hacks depending on uname -r output :-/

	- Panu -