[Fedora-packaging] Re: kmdl proposal and kmod flaws

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Aug 9 15:27:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 09:38:54AM -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> NC State University.  Duke.  I believe Matt at Boston U. has used this
> approch in the past as well.

My current approach is to build a subpackage containing kernel modules for
the latest three kernels all bundled together. This is horrible but works
fine in our environment. (And, works perfectly fine with buildrequires and
makes repeatable builds without passing in special parameters on the build
command line.)

(If we wanted to have both i586 and i686 kernels, there would be a problem,
but we simply don't support i586.)

I was working on updating to the Fedora standard, but it's a lot of work and
the incentive isn't high. :)

I am inclined to believe the only real solution here is to get the in-kernel
AFS client up to snuff and abandon the OpenAFS kernel module. I don't know
when this will happen, but I think it's easier than solving this problem. :)